What are the characteristics of Misty?
- Misty was bred by the University of Florida in 1990. Its bushes are very vigorous, upright and highly productive.
- It is a variety that tends to bloom heavily and form good leaves in Florida conditions.
- Misty blueberry saplings, which come to life in organically rich soils, have a cooling period of 300 hours.
- The most suitable planting spacing is 1.00 – 1.50 m in rows and 2.00 – 3.50 m between rows according to processing equipment.
- Misty are grown in well-drained soils in full sun or partial shade in slightly moist summers, preferably adjacent to or near the forest.
- The fruits are large, light blue in color and the stem pit scar is quite good.
- The fruits of Misty blueberry are firm and sweet.
What are the Soil and Climate Conditions of Misty ?
Misty blueberry sapling, bred by the University of Florida in 1990; It is recommended to be grown in full sun or partial shade in well-drained soils rich in organic matter, slightly moist in summer and preferably located adjacent to or near the forest. The shallow and fibrous roots of Misty blueberries need constant moisture and good drainage. Although the blueberry variety is self-fertile, cross-pollination is recommended for tasty and large fruit. Misty blueberry, which is resistant to cold temperatures down to about -29°C, should not be fertilized starting from August, especially nitrogen fertilizers should not be given and irrigations should be reduced in order to increase its resistance to winter cold in our eastern regions below -29°C. Misty blueberry sapling, which needs full sun and well-drained acidic soil,
How to Grow for Misty Blueberries?
It is necessary to pay attention to the care of Misty, which are self-fertile and give very important results in terms of fruit quality. It is grown in organically rich, slightly moist summers, preferably adjacent to or near a forest, in well-drained soils in full sun or partial shade. Planting spacing of Misty blueberry; It is recommended to be between 1.00 – 1.50 m between rows and 2.00 – 3.50 m between rows, depending on the processing equipment. The ideal planting size is to plant 1 m x 2.5 m and grow 400 plants in 1 decare area. In order to obtain positive results from Misty, which is a mid-season harvest variety; shallow, fibrous roots, constant moisture and good drainage are required. For the healthy development of plants and ease of cultivation, the best method is planting on a light ridge on mulch. Finally, In order to prevent fruit formation and encourage new vegetative growth, it is best to remove flowers from plants and avoid fruiting in the planting year and the following year. In the period after planting, pruning should be done towards the end of winter, approximately in the 2nd or 3rd year.